Wednesday 11 March 2009

Metal tape ATCs

I made these metal tape ATCs for a swap. I scanned them and took a photograph and neither came out very clearly! The backgrounds were several layers of metal tape, applied to cardstock, then the whole was run through the Wizard in a cuttlebug folder. I ran round the edges with a herringbone Ten Seconds Studio roller tool.


They looked rather too bright and silvery, and rather than use alcohol inks to colour them as I have in the past, I had a 'grunge' moment and decided to use patina solutions. I painted 2 of the bases with blackened bronze base solution and the other with blonde bronze. While they were still damp, I added the top coat of green patina solution, and... not much happened!

I did get an aged metal look, but nothing remotely like bronze, which is what I'd been hoping for. In the past, I've had lovely distressed metal effects, but in the past I have been applying the solutions to cardstock. I don't know whether my solutions have gotten too old and are not working, or whether they just don't like the metal tape!


Anyway, I sanded over the backgrounds to bring the raised areas out in shiny metal, then added the embellishments. The embellishments are made by heating fun foam until it begins to curl and is slightly shiny, and stamping into it. Hold the stamp down firmly until the foam has cooled, and cut round the image. I coloured these pieces with Treasure Gold waxes in pewter (the outside ATCs) and with a combination of Onyxite and Indigo (the cente ATC), and added keys, hearts and Dymo lettering.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, but I like these!!! I would bet that the patina reacts differently with the metal tape than it did with the cardstock and that is why they are different than you expected.
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post on the metal tape ATC's. I hope this tutorial will help me to understand this cardstock. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am loving these ATC's. Question where did you find metal tape???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy metal tape in do-it-yourself (home improvement) stores in the UK. Also online, an d in hardware stores. I think it's meant for repairing flashing, pipes and such.

    It is sticky backed aluminium, and comes in dofferent widths, about 2-2.5 inches being the most common.

    ReplyDelete

Guestbook

Blog Archive

Copyright

Please note that I assert myself as the creator of all art on this site (unless I credit another artist) and retain copyright of all artwork posted on this site