Monday 16 July 2007

Altered bottle


I recently ran an 'altered bottle' swap on CC Swaps Yahoo group. I had originally altered a bottle by melting it a little and coating it with patinating paints, but noticed the paint was flaking off after a week or so. I assumed that this was because the bottle didn't have any 'tooth' for the paint to hold onto. I guess I either need to sand the bottle first, or better still, cover it with tissue before I paint it. The bottle above is the one I finally sent my swap partner - it began life as a 'Pom' bottle full of pomegranate juice.

I drank the juice - yum - and then used a versamark hot knife to trim the bottle top - it had mouldings in the shape of the top of a ;pomegranate, so i just followed the moulding with the blade. Than I used PVA glue to stick tissue all over the bottle, overlapping and crinkling as I went. Once dry, i painted it with Aubergine colour wash - diluted with 3 or 4 parts water. It looked a bit dull, so I stamped it all over with a tiny stamp and Galaxy Gold Brilliance ink. It still needed 'something' - shine, I thought, so I gave it a coat of gloss medium, which made the colourwash run :(

I decided the colour was too blue and needed to be a warmer shade of purple, so I gave it a quick dab of amethyst rub'n'buff, and stuck 2 sun charms on. My art often takes on a life of it's own, and this project was no different. I am not sure I am completely satisfied with the final object, but I know we are all our own worst critics, so I tried to be objective about it - and decided that if I saw it in a shop, I would like it. I hope Fiona likes it, too.


5 comments:

  1. what a great way to snazz up an old bottle and it has come out great, love it. Recycling queen

    Hugs Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hullo Adrienne,

    The shape of this is just fabulous. I have a thing for pomegranates and I just love this!

    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adrienne - love your name! ;o) I love all your stuff and will be reading regularly from now on.
    I hate sanding so was wondering about covering with tissue as you described. Do you know what surfaces this works on? I would really appreciate your advice.
    Thank you - A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrienne K

    I think gluing tissue works on most surfaces - you will always get a 'textured' effect when gluing tissue onto a non-porous surface, but I have glued tissue to plastic bottles, CDs, heavy cardboard, cardstock - just have a play - and use ordinary PVA glue (Elmer's in the US???)

    Adrienne G

    ReplyDelete

Guestbook

Blog Archive

Copyright

Please note that I assert myself as the creator of all art on this site (unless I credit another artist) and retain copyright of all artwork posted on this site